Friday, December 16, 2011

Kitchen Floor...

The kitchen floor tiling has proved to be the hardest part of the house renovation. I received help from my father on this, and we've spent about nine hours total on it, and still have a little ways to go. I anticipate to be finished with another few hours of work, but who knows.

The biggest time killer, and probably most frustrating part, is getting the adequate amount of thinset underneath the tiles. Even using the proper tools for the job, this is a really trying thing to do. This is important to level put each tile with the height of the tile next to it. Doing this prevents high spots that would drive me nuts down the road, especially since once the tiles in there is nothing that can be done about them.

I've gone with 18"x18" tile, a bit larger than the standard kitchen tile, and the extra size is probably largely to blame for the additional headache. I don't remember this level of frustration when doing my parents kitchen tiling.

I've layed the kitchen tile in a diagonal pattern as Ive heard it makes the room look larger. Truthfully, I'm just doing it to be a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment